Text Scratch Pad PWA app Google Play Submission; Testers needed to meet Google Play 12 testers requirement
Quick Info
As most Android users would want to install the PWA app via Google Play Store, I created a TWA (Trusted Web Activity) Android bundle using PWABuilder and submitted it to Google Play Console.
As on 27 July 2026, 12.22 PM, the Text Scratch Pad Closed Testing (CT) app on Google Play is at 11 testers opted-in. It needs 1 more tester to start the mandatory for recent Play Console developers like me, 14 day period of testing with 12 testers. Note that I used Testers Community app to help reach 11 testers but it was stuck at 11 testers and so I am putting up this post.
If you would like to contribute to testing and help app get to Google review and hopefully, publication stage, you need to do the following:
- Using your Google id, visit my Google groups page for this Closed Testing work: https://groups.google.com/g/ravis-apptesters and click 'Join Group' button on it. You will get added to the Google group right away. But this change seems to take a few hours to get registered in Google Play.
- After a few hours, visit the Text Scratch Pad Closed Testing app link from your Android mobile (where you are using same Google id added above): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.netlify.textscratchpad.twa.
- If your Google id addition to https://groups.google.com/g/ravis-apptesters has been noted by Google Play, you will be shown the Play Store screen for the Text Scratch Pad app (as 'Early Access'). Install the app, use it and then provide feedback for the app using above app Play Store link or accessing it via App Info of installed app. I think you may need to keep the app installed on your mobile for 14 days for you to be counted as one of the 12 testers for 14 days period requirement of Google Play Console.
- If your Google id addition to https://groups.google.com/g/ravis-apptesters has not yet been noted by Google Play, you will be shown a not found error screen. You have to wait for few hours more and try again.
==============================================
Details
Project document: PWA-to-PlayStoreSubmission.md has some details of which a summary is provided below.
On 23 July 2026, I did the following:
- Packaging with PWABuilder
- Digital Asset Links (TWA Domain Verification)
- Google Play Console App Creation
- Mandatory Privacy Policy
- Google Play Console Submission for Closed Testing
- Post-Submission: Play App Signing & Verification
The following was done on 24 July 2026
- Noted Play Console warning about app targeting old API level 35 instead of new API level 36
- Using 'Testers Community' App's free community testing option to meet 12 testers requirement
- Around
================================
09:46, 24 July 2026
Using procedure followed in https://raviswdev.blogspot.com/2025/12/submission-of-timestamp-tracker-app-to.html to handle closed testing of Text Scratch Pad app.
Installed Testers Community app. Used dG Google login.
----
Note prepared with Google Search AI help:
The Testers Community app requires an app icon. Transferring the icon file (.png) from my Windows 11 PC to an Android mobile turned out to be a tricky process. When transferred via WhatsApp or Google Keep, the file was visible within those apps but could not be downloaded directly to the device Gallery. I needed it in the Gallery so the Testers Community app's file picker could access it.
Uploading it as a document to WhatsApp Web initially didn't seem to help because the app's internal 3-dot menu only allowed forwarding or sharing, not saving directly to the system storage.
Following a troubleshooting session with Google Search AI, I tried using the destination app's built-in file picker to browse through 'My Files', but this offered a limited view of the filesystem. It had some Whatsapp documents and images folders but I could not locate the icon in them (probably because I did not drill down to Sent folder).
Finally, I opened the native 'My Files' app directly from the home screen and navigated to:Internal Storage > Android > media > com.whatsapp > WhatsApp > Media > WhatsApp Documents > Sent
Because I sent the file to myself from my PC, it was located in the 'Sent' folder (which Android automatically hides from the Gallery using a .nomedia restriction). I copied the .png file from there and pasted it into Internal Storage > Pictures. This instantly forced the Android Gallery to index it, allowing it to be easily selected via the Testers Community app file picker.
--------
Generic note added to Google Keep (under Reference):
Transferring Images/Icons from PC to Samsung M21 Mobile
## Method 1: Transferring Images via Gmail (Recommended & Fastest) (Ravi: Have not tested it)
Phase 1: Send from PC
1. Open Gmail in your PC browser and click Compose.
2. Address the email to your own email address.
3. Click the Paperclip icon (Attach files) at the bottom. (Do not use the "Insert photo" icon, as it can compress your image).
4. Select your .png or image file and click Send.
Phase 2: Download on Samsung M21
1. Open the Gmail app on your mobile and open the email you just sent to yourself.
2. On the image attachment card, tap the Download icon (down arrow).
3. Alternative: Tap the image to open it full screen, tap the three dots in the top right, and select Save.
Result: Gmail saves the file directly to your public Internal Storage > Downloads folder. The Samsung Gallery app indexes this folder automatically. The image will instantly appear in your Gallery under the "Downloads" album and will be immediately visible to all third-party app file pickers.
------------------------------
## Method 2: Backup Option: Transferring Images/Icons from PC to Samsung Gallery via WhatsApp. (Ravi: This worked for me on 24 July 2026)
Phase 1: Send from PC
1. Open WhatsApp Web or the WhatsApp Desktop app on your PC.
2. Open your self-chat (or a chat you use for notes) and click the + (plus) attach icon.
3. Select Document (do not select Image, as it compresses the file and strips metadata).
4. Choose your .png or image file and send it.
Phase 2: Locate and Move on Samsung M21
Because you sent the file from your own linked PC, Android hides it inside a protected "Sent" folder that the Gallery app is forced to ignore. You must manually move it out:
1. Open the native My Files app on your Samsung M21.
2. Navigate to: Internal Storage > Android > media > com.whatsapp > WhatsApp > Media > WhatsApp Documents > Sent.
3. Long-press on your transferred image file to highlight it.
4. Tap Copy (or Move) at the bottom of the screen.
5. Tap the Back arrow until you return to the main Internal Storage menu.
6. Open the Pictures folder (or DCIM folder).
7. Tap Copy here (or Move here) at the bottom right.
Result: The Samsung Gallery app will instantly index the new file. It will now be universally visible inside the Gallery and accessible by any third-party app file picker.
===================
11:54, 27 July 2026
Testers Community app got stuck at 11 testers.
Noted that its approach has changed. Some pack has to be opted in, after 100 points, to cross 11 testers. There also seem to be lot of rules related to that. Giving it a quick shot to see if I can get bumped to 12 testers.
I increased my credit to over 100 points (moons) but I did not see an option to change my app to 'pack. So I deleted the app from Testers Community and tried to add it again but this time with the intention of choosing 'pack' under community testing (if that were shown to me as now I have over 100 credits). But I was told that I have to wait 96 hours before adding the app again.
Now till try out https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codignia.apphive (mentioned in my TT submission post). It had complicated procedure including an assurance to test other apps in the 'hive' every day for 14 days. Backed out of that. I think Testers community may have similar procedure for 'pack' in which I case I can go for non-pack community testing after 96 hours which may bump my testers from 11 to 12 and get me past the starting point. Uninstalled App Hive.
Comments
Post a Comment