Superb message of caution about AI from MDN - Learn web development

MDN - Learn web development: A cautionary tale - "AI tools present their answers in a confident, authoritative voice, but they can often be misleading or just plain wrong. Some of the mistakes they make can be very subtle. They don't have any innate intelligence of their own — they are basically advanced pattern matching tools. AI tools compile their answers from other sources out there, so will hoover up wrong information as well as correct information. Even two correct sources can be combined to create an answer that is incorrect."

Based on my usage of AI tools for web and mobile app development for close to one and a half years now, I completely agree with the first sentence of the above paragraph: "AI tools present their answers in a confident, authoritative voice, but they can often be misleading or just plain wrong." Note that my software development work involving these AI tools has been mainly using React, React Native and Vanilla JavaScript and also quite a bit of Windows PowerShell scripting. The AI tools I have used in this period are mainly Gemini 3.1 Pro under Google AI Pro plan for around 5 months now (from April 2026) preceded by free tier ChatGPT and Gemini for around a year (from April 2025).

I am very happy to see a premier web development resource like MDN clearly state this caution. Note that the above paragraph in the MDN page comes below a "Using AI" section which mentions the advantages of using AI tools for web dev. So it is a balanced view.

Are latest models from Anthropic and Open AI, under their most expensive plans, so much better than Google's Gemini 3.1 Pro with 1 million token context window in Google AI Pro plan, that the above caution will not apply to them? I don't know as I have not used them but I doubt if they are that good. I think there is a lot of marketing hype from AI companies about AI generating code so well that we don't need to know coding now and fully rely on AI tools to do perfect coding work, if we have the money to use top models with best plans.

Comments